AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smithfield in Sioux falls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 3/29/2020 19:16 (#8149984 - in reply to #8149795)
Subject: RE: It isn't a food safety issue.

SW WI
I’ve had this conversation several times in the last 5 years....just at hobby/family/ friends size now so doesn’t really effect me. With Oct futures at 56 and Dec at 53....they were lower in 16. I don’t want to make light of the situation and we may not be done going down. I like to work backwards on hog price. Oct will give you roughly $117 gross on a market hog. Dec has $111.

So these are long term actual numbers of mine, that I’ve posted before. Feel free to post your own, although I don’t recall seeing anyone’s.

Feeder pig: $56 @ 40 lb target
Meal $23.20. 145 lbs/ hd @ $320/ ton meal
Mineral $4.74. Roughly 15 lbs/ hd
Meds $2.00. Could be more....doubtful it’s going to be less
Building $14.00. Someone is paying for that building...or maybe just repairs on a paid for building
Electricity/ LP probably little LP on this turn. Electric depends on barn style
Labor....”What’s that?” if you’re an independent

So we’ve got $97 in pretty firm cost without corn....and variables of electricity and labor, no insurance no trucking in here. So if a feeder to finish pig will take 9.25 bu.....that would leave corn at $2.16 to $1.51 bu

And now you know why I was done subsidizing my hogs with cheap corn....I can’t grow corn for $2 or less

Edit: you can cut the price of the feeder pig....but eventually you will lose the supply/ sow farm

Edited by mikado 3/29/2020 19:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)