AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

aerial/satellite images
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Matt NCOK
Posted 11/4/2006 00:27 (#57896 - in reply to #57884)
Subject: Re: aerial/satellite images More details about my interests

You are looking for something like LandSat or Ikonis Data. Both of these satellite images would allow you to calculate NDVI which I think would illustrate the differences you are seeing in the field. LandSat 7 imagery has a 30m resolution (not the best, but still usefully) and I have worked with it to produce yield maps prior to harvest that where good enough to create yield zones. Landsat passes overhead every 16 days so you have to hope that it wasn't cloudy when it came by. It also had a malfunction in 2003 which looses about 25% of the data in a given image. You would just have to hope you weren't in the gap. Landsat imagery can be purchased from the USGS, it was quit pricey, don't know if it has come down in recent years. You might also check with K-state, maybe someone there is working with the data and would be able to provide you with just the piece of the image that you need. Ikonis is more of a point and shoot system but with much better resolution. I don't know how you would go about finding if any data existed for your location. When I was working with it we had to send GPS coordinates to NASA ahead of time and hope they didn't screw it up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)