AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wabash River Rats ... take cover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boog
Posted 3/10/2009 11:52 (#638601 - in reply to #638550)
Subject: Re: Wabash River Rats ... take cover

It's something that I have always heard and as someone who farms in the river bottoms it seems to hold true. This morning the middle 1/3 of the river had heavy trash flowing down it. Once the river stops rising you will see very little if any trash in the center portion of the river. Can't tell you the exact physics behind it but would presumably have something to do with as the waters flow in from flooded connecting streams the runoff picks up trash along the edges and the driftwood moves to the center of the river where the current is faster. As the water receedes coming from the streams, etc it no longer picks up the trash plus the river current is slowing down & the debris is deposited along the banks. As I said, just my thoughts, maybe someone will have a better answer. I do know that cleanup after a flood is a real P{ITA in our rb fields an almost all the logs & trash will be around the perimeters of the bayous, seldom find any in the middle of the bayous where the last of the water dries out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)