AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody else feel like all the farm work this year is for nothing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

grainbinder
Posted 6/12/2019 21:13 (#7555805 - in reply to #7555740)
Subject: RE: Anybody else feel like all the farm work this year is for nothing?

western WI
oldbones - 6/12/2019 20:45

grainbinder-

Just as well give it up.
Until they HAVE to work at an hourly/salaried job, they won't ever get it, and they'll always believe that it's an easy "party" punching a clock.
Until they wear the other guy's shoes, they can't appreciate their present occupation/way of life.
Done both, and still do both. Not complaining at all, no one is forcing me to do it.
But I can say that there is MUCH more freedom working on the farm than at ANY day job. And, being on both sides, I can say that the farming is more lucrative for time invested.
Sure gets tiresome reading about how easy the non-ag sector has it. Especially from those that have never experienced the other side. Quit whining about it, sell the farm, and go get that dream job if it's that good. Then report back after a few years (anything less than a full year wouldn't give a real taste of the difference in occupations).
I honestly don't know where they get their information, but they need a new source.

I appreciate your willingness to share. I do both as well and continue to. People that have town jobs and have alot of "toys" often are loaded in debt. Kind of like several farmers i know. Anything other than company exec./upper crust management don't make much. on the other end, I tire of hearing co-workers talk about the farm subsidies, corn and bean yes, dairy/livestock/hay, hell no, they don't have a clue. Even my father don't get it! Per capita, there are way more farmers much better off than their town job counterparts. In case you have not noticed, I have 0, (zero) respect for "full-time" corn/bean guys. We dairy farmed until 3 years ago and a corn beaner wouldn't have a clue. Now that corn beaner chit show has taken over the vacated dairy farms here in Wisco and the soil is eroding away by the train car load and noone seems to care. This is not Iowa up here. Lot of Iowa/Illinois want to be "farmers" here now. End of rant.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)