AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do on high CA soils?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 3/12/2019 16:19 (#7375944 - in reply to #7375729)
Subject: RE: What to do on high CA soils?

Years ago I ran into small areas within a field with high calcium levels.  While our soils tend to be reddish-brown, these areas tended to be black, and loose.  They would grow corn.  However, the soil test would always have very high calcium levels,and low phosphorus and potassium levels.  I typically had been sending soil tests to a university lab.  One year I sent the soil to a private lab and the results came back looking very different.  So, I had a conversation with the commercial lab about it. What I found out is: the university lab would put a cap on the values.  Either the Calcium was capped at 15 Meq or the CEC was capped at 15 meq.  (I think I have that correct.)  On the other hand, the commercial lab did not put a cap on the numbers, and left them run to whatever they were.  There was a difference in philosophy between the two labs on how to handle these situations.

I say all this to say....   a) I suspect you have "free calcium" in your soils.  b) I think it would be a good idea to talk with the lab that ran this sample on how to proceed.    They may have seen these kinds of situations before and may have suggestions on what you should do next.

The other thing that caught my eye is the difference in Mn, and also Iron, between the two samples. I'd be keeping an eye on the high calcium area for potential deficiencies in micronutrients, especially Mn.  Maybe you won't have an issue, but I would watch for it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)