AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do on high CA soils?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

m18dromader
Posted 3/12/2019 14:50 (#7375825 - in reply to #7375729)
Subject: RE: What to do on high CA soils?

Austin MN
Wow. That is really something. Ive never seen a 148 CEC before. Based on your previous statement that theres a water issue and the higher sulfer and boron levels i would agree there is a drainage issue. What i cant reconcile is the high calcium and the drainage problem. That is counter active of what we know high calcium does in soil.

I was at Neil Kinsey's clinic in baltic a week ago. He talked about a farmer in mexico he was working with that had a soil similar to this that was 94% calcium an 4% magnesium. The soil it self was very tight and when tilled would clod and ball up really bad. I'm assuming yours does something similiar. I'll review my notes what the fix was for that farm.

I kinda wonder if we are being lied to on the soil test. What i mean by that is i think there is so much calcium we arn't seeing the whole picture whats going on. Neil talked about when his company runs a test they do an additional test called a cation displacement test. what that basically measures is the free positively charged particles like calcium and magnesium. They're free because the soil coliods are basically full and they cant attach to any soil particle but they still show up on a regular cation exchange test.

As far as what the fix is i'm not sure where to begin. As unhelpful as it is i think you might need more help then a forum. If it was me i might call Neil Kinsey's team or one of his consultants. My gut says fix the drainage problem and pour on the potassium to try and get it in balance. But i still believe we are sorta being lied to on the soil test. So that might be just throwing money away. Sorry i'm not more helpful.

Edit to add one thing i thought of. Is the bad part of the farm irrigated in any way? Just thinking if a high calcium water source could be blame? Come to think of it if any calcium source was previously there like a gypsum or lime pile or lime stone pile or anything out of the ordinary like that

Edited by m18dromader 3/12/2019 14:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)