AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fedora 9 or 10?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

peth
Posted 2/7/2009 17:13 (#600153 - in reply to #599631)
Subject: Re: Fedora 9 or 10?

Guelph Ontario Canada
Cant help on the Fedora stuff - but I put together a 64 bit HTPC / File server with the following specs a month ago.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 2.9ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G mATX AM2+ PCI-EX SATA RAID Video Sound GLAN 1394 HDMI Motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon HD 4670 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I CrossFireX HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN
LG Blue-ray reader
LG Blue-ray writer
250 GB OS Drive
2x 1.5 TB Storage drives

Did a quick search on that MB + Fedora and nothing alarming came up. I think there are new flavors of that MB available and ASUS has some similar models. I built this to serve media content to my 1080p TV and it works great. The onboard sound and video both work great for the HTPC enviroment with several output methods. I added the 4670 card for some extra horsepower when upscaling video content - dont actually think I need it but it was cheap enough to go for it.

One thing to be aware of on those ATI cards is that not all of the versions have a GPU fan that is variable. The Gigabyte version I purchased does not have a variable fan and it is quite loud. In retrospect I could have spent $10 more for a variable speed version. I solved this problem by using a variable speed fan controller for all the fans in the box.

Had a lot of trouble getting the video card drivers happy in XP so I went to 64 bit Vista - and all is well. With the exception of the fact that Vista does not allow for audio to be pushed out in Digital and Analog at the same time (XP does this). I expect the open source OS does not have this problem but it is something to consider if you want to set up several zones of speakers.

Check out the HTPC forum on the AV Science board for more info / ideas. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)