AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to spraying, purchasing sprayer this year. Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 2/10/2019 13:46 (#7311144 - in reply to #7310859)
Subject: RE: just my thoughts- sprayer

Fontanelle, IA
my thoughts may or may not be NAT approved so they can be discounted as you see fit.

If you are spraying for yourself for the 1st time with your own sprayer, then these would be my thoughts.
1. PTO vs. hydraulic - I personally prefer PTO. I don't know how much continuous flow oil a hyd one takes but I always liked the fact that if a tractor went down, I could strap a PTO pump equipped sprayer on a 4010 or 1066 and get stuff done while the "sprayer tractor" was down. My pull type took 2 SCV's so I had to have a PTO (tractor didn't have a 3rd scv.)
2. as said earlier - buy some sort of lightbar guidance. My sprayer had a foamer and I used it in conjunction with my Raven Cruizer 2 from Sprayer Specialties. The guys @ Sprayer Specialties in Grimes have been a lifesaver for me. My Cruizer 2 is basic and does coverage map in addition to "guide" lines. pretty accurate. I don't miss corners or triangles with the coverage map on the Cruizer. The foamer helps because I know where I have been (or can think about it in my head) in odd shaped fields. Just me though.
3. Plant your fields thinking of how you will spray it. If you have 60 foot sprayer, then I would have 24 or 48 row end row. If 90 foot sprayer, then use 36 rows for end row. Use your end rows to help you with your timing and accuracy of your turn on/turn off at the ends. this helps with overspray and associated potential carryover issues in certain years where 2x rate (on the overlap) is.
4. Keep your herbicide program simple in year 1. Read every label.... twice and then once more. Me personally - I wouldn't try to save the $3-4/acre by making your own home-brew at least in year 1. Mixing stand is where I get bogged down.... you don't need to be measuring 1.3 gallons of this + 12 gallons of this + 2.7 pounds of this. You are saving money on the chemical (markup) plus the application cost. Maximize time in the seat in year 1 vs. on the mixing stand trying to save the last penny so that speed of application/efficiency from "comfort" during application bolsters confidence and gets the job done.
5. logistics - your 1000 gallon sprayer will cover 100 acres (maybe more like 95-96) on a fill @ 10 gpa. I had a hard time getting the last 40-50 gallon out due to my hills and slope "here". The last 40 gallon of solution always seemed "foamier" and I never felt like I got the same rate on the last 2-3 acres of a batch vs. the rest of the batch. just my $.02 and a side note..... My full batch sizes never fit my field sizes - LOGISTICS. I would encourage you to add a wagon w/ transfer pump + inductor that you can pull it to the field where you will run out of chemical w/ your Pickup. All the custom applicators pit the sprayer in the field because road time sucks and really costs you time and money. Pit in the field but also have your home base water tank / pump / and inductor filled so that you always have a sprayer fill of water ready.
6. keep plenty of defoamer or tank cleaner on hand. Don't skimp on rinsing. I always thought that gly was the best tank cleaner..... until I started spraying some liberty beans in 2018.

My thoughts are mine and mine alone. No guarantee of NAT approval.

EDIT: Just wanted to wish you Good Luck. You'll do really well in 2019.

Edited by Baby Robin 2/10/2019 13:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)