AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 15 ft. mower specs + a PTO question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BFarm
Posted 1/30/2019 06:40 (#7283389 - in reply to #7282894)
Subject: RE: JD 15 ft. mower specs + a PTO question.

WCIL
We went to a Bush Hog 2615 in about 92 and ran it 10 years. Only problems I remember on it is a couple wheel bearings (standard sizes), had to reseal wing cylinders (they are one way and had some oil leaking by), and have replaced some slip clutch disks (inexpensive). The slip clutch disks for us, usually are only a problem on the right hand wings, since you hang them over the ditch banks and occasionally scalp, eventually wearing them out. The pto shielding is really a pain and eventually gets in bad shape. My father in law bought it from us about 15 years ago and is still mowing some pasture with it today with zero repairs (not even an oil seal), but much fewer hours use. That one for us was bulletproof. All said, we have had good luck and are on our 3rd Bush Hog here, running them about 10 years or so. Yet to have a gearbox, driveshaft, or joint problem. The 2615L (Legend) is a newer version and some of them have much bigger gearboxes than the older 2615, different wheel lift rockshafts and different shielding. Must be some serial number breaks somewhere.. If you look at Tractor House you can see pics. The 2615 models on there are mixed, so have to look through them. We have neighbors with newer Deeres that appear to have good luck and they look well built, but again, no experience here. Hopefully others can chime in.

Whatever you decide, I have a few suggestions. Chains or canvas skirting are necessary for safety. Some of the older ones do not have them. Eight tires are nice across the mower to help hold the wings up in a ditch situation to prevent scalping. Single wheels ride in the bottom of the ditch and can cause the center of the section to ride low and scalp. Just a convenience, but not necessary. Stump jumpers are good to protect blades as well. I also like having each wing on its own scv to control it. If you mow a ditch and come to a culvert or pole and need to raise one wing a little, you can. Otherwise, the opposite wing with least resistance nearly always raises first. It is a necessity for me. We have an electric splitter for this, but in the 4020 days, we plumbed a T to separate the wings and used manual 1/4 turn shut offs on the lines we could reach from the seat. Also, you need to run the wings in float to ease stress on the cylinders. If you are running in fields only, some of these suggestions may not be necessary or a concern. Good luck.
Pics of different gearboxes from TractorHouse.

(bush hog1 (full).jpg)

(bush hog2 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bush hog1 (full).jpg (296KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments bush hog2 (full).jpg (110KB - 10 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)