AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

davpal following up on post below , lazy beans .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

davpal
Posted 1/21/2019 11:59 (#7261232 - in reply to #7260900)
Subject: RE: davpal following up on post below , lazy beans .

Mid Michigan
I've actually never heard that name before but it sounds like he had some good dirt. Sounds like some Iowa or Illinois dirt got dropped off on his place 10,000 years ago! I honestly believe where you settle has a lot more to do with farming success than anything. If you have good dirt down there and good drainage you've won 95% of the battle. You can add some manure and fertilizer and a few things here and there like different genetics but it's hard to change the dirt bank you have out there. We have spots that probably grow 60 bushels and some that grow 20 in the same field and it all ends up being 30-40 when it's all said and done. There are a couple of farms I always admire on the way to work that always have good crops on them. Every year you can count on it. Guy does nothing different than his neighbors or his other fields but those particular farms will be perfect. Good consistant dirt and drainage and very little deer pressure on those places. We also rarely saw a lot of deer or geese around here in the 70's and 80's but lately the population has become ridiculous. I'm thinking milder winters has kept the populations on the rise and the geese can clear entire acres if you have them bed in. I believe he got lucky with his dirt. If getting 100 bushel yields was as easy as buying a smart phone or a Mt Dew we would already all be doing it. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)