AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is fertilizer making my beans "lazy"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 1/19/2019 15:54 (#7256557 - in reply to #7256494)
Subject: RE: Is fertilizer making my beans "lazy"

ecmn
I did 5 years of side by side with soybeans. no till vs tilled, no till fertilized vs tilled fertilized, then brought in strip till with and without fertility mixed with the other two. every year the best cash flow was no till no fertilizer. tried ams as a top dress for a couple years. one field showed a huge response then never got to repeat that result. tried a corn program in strip till under soybeans and they responded in yield but not enough to pay for the fertilizer.

the best way to grow beans in our area is to accept that we grow 40 bushel beans.

best return on investment this year was 110k population in no till into corn stubble. vs higher pops in conventional till with fertilizer, strip till with fertilizer, no till into sod, tilled into pasture with no fertilizer. the pasture had the best good spots then any other field. if we took the bottom 10% out of fields based on bad geography the old pasture would have had a lot better average. more mineralized fertility then the other fields is what I would credit it to.

normal P and K around my farm would be in the 20 ish area. k in the 150-200 range. have a 40 acre that we kept an 8 acre side fallow for a couple years. last soil test was 50 for the P levels and 280 for the K levels. almost 20 years later it still grows a better yielding crop with the same inputs applied as the rest of the field.

Edited by easymoney 1/19/2019 15:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)