AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ksfarmboy1960
Posted 11/22/2018 06:04 (#7120647 - in reply to #7120619)
Subject: RE: Land prices

Not much selling around this area.Talking south of Topeka Ks. When it does, the tillable is in the 3000. 3500 /acre.Pasture is 2000 to 2500/acre. Mostly 35 t0 40 bu/acre bean ground and 110 to 150 bu/ac corn yield. This year was dry with very spotty rainfall. Corn was 40 to 100 bu . Beans was 35 to 40 bu/A.
The 1031 exchanges probably keep the prices up that high.Not saying that is high compared to your part of the country, but our yields vary so much from year to year. That being said IMHO most farmers that didn't inherit his land but scrimped and saved and finally got it paid for after many years has a decent retirement if he sells. In general I think many or just hanging on as they love the life and farming. Health insurance causes a lot of having to work in town ( either him or the wife )
The land farmed here should probably still be in pasture .The river bottoms { Kansas River/Kaw River ) usually never comes up for sale for the public.[Private sale to family or neighbor } I am thinking it will bring 2 to 3 times what the dry land sells for. Very little wells for crops here. That being said the average rainfall is about 36" in this area.Hot 100 deg and wind is the crop killer during pollination here.So corn is planter as early as the first week of April thru. May15 if weather permits. Generally a big field is 100 acres. Lot of smaller fields.
The biggest advantage you guys have , other than deeper and better ground is maybe more consistent yeild year to year.
I truly wish all you farmer the best and realize you have your problems also.
Hope this helps
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)