AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ontario Soy Yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Clay-All-Over
Posted 10/15/2006 23:17 (#51858 - in reply to #51532)
Subject: RE: How about 6 years in a row

Eastern Ontario

I usually break down the ridge in the fall but in years like this it might not be possible. I rip and mulch at the same time with a heavy duty roto tiller and then make new ridges. It's better planting if the field has been worked, but it still works good if we don't.The main reason for the ridge is to keep the crop out of the water. Other benefits are: more surface area - so that the field can warm up faster. the ridge has 3 sides to take up heat while flat ground only has one. Soil is out of water and therfore getting more air for microbes to do their job. In a notill situation, alot of the fodder is being burned up by the sun whereas if fodder gets worked into the ground just slightly, the microbes can turn this into usable nutrients.

Our clay soils are fairly high in Potash, so we have never supplimented it. One thing we do have to add on a yearly basis is Manganese. It is usually foliar applied first week of July.

Corn will grow decent but not excellent. At last years prices I would have lost money growing corn. This year I might have broke even with the recent increase in price. For sure I don't get the same amount of organic matter in the ground with just beans ,but levels have not dropped as far as I can tell. We have other means of adding organic matter. I have tried some rye on newly tiled and leveled land this year. Will see how that turns out next year. 

(fall work05 003dutzidescrip (676 x 507)1.jpg)

(fall work05 010 (676 x 507)1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fall work05 003dutzidescrip (676 x 507)1.jpg (69KB - 149 downloads)
Attachments fall work05 010 (676 x 507)1.jpg (31KB - 165 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)