AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

40000lbs rear end question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Orin
Posted 12/26/2008 23:34 (#547911 - in reply to #547750)
Subject: RE: 40000lbs rear end question

Nusbaum Farms LLC Bellfountain, OR
Two speed rearends are very common out here in the PNW in logging trucks where they have to be geared for steep climbs. It's not uncommon to see an 18 speed with a 2 speed rear end set. My '74 KW is an ex logger and has the 2 speed rears with a 13 spd. I like them, running around here loboying I normally leave 'em in low...puts the top speed around 45. When I'm on a longer trip I use high.

They aren't designed to be shifted on the fly, or used as a "splitter" like on a single axle truck. The manual advises against shifting on the fly, although I have done it. The ratio difference is severe enough that splitting isn't practical anyway, at least on mine. They're just meant to be a dual range (on highway-off highway) arrangement.

IMHO, I'd just go with a brownie (aux.) transmission in your application, unless you could get 2 speed "pumpkins" that fit your housings on the cheap. A used takeout 3 or 4 speed Spicer aux. tranny with crossmembers and the shift linkage shouldn't be too expensive, and they last forever.

If you need more info or pics of what I'm talking about, my email is in the profile.

-Orin
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)