AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

using my yield map for silage compensation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Brian Vulgamore
Posted 10/1/2006 07:27 (#47978 - in reply to #47791)
Subject: Re: using my yield map for silage compensation

Scott City, KS
Brad, what was the moisture of the silage and does the feedyard adjust the moisture back to 68-70% if it gets too dry? We had a field that got too dry this year and it yielded 18 tons/acre. I think it would have yielded around 200 bu/acre if we were to pick it. If this field would have been harvested at 68-70% moisture, it probably would have yielded closer to 25 tons/acre. I would definitely make the argument your corn silage should have yielded closer to 25 tons/acre if managed for silage. I think the price is about right if the feedyard is paying the chopping and hauling, but you need to have your tons adjusted upward (or however you want to base your argument).

Also, the "username" makes a good point about fertility issues between silage vs. grain. I often overlook this b/c our soils in SW Kansas are luxuriously abundant in K. We don't have to fertilize for K. Plus, the feedyards generally put the silage customers first in line for manure. Manure provides more than enough N, P, K, and other micros to make fertility a non issue in our area. That may or may not be the case in your area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)