AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

using my yield map for silage compensation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Brian Vulgamore
Posted 9/30/2006 07:46 (#47752 - in reply to #47707)
Subject: Re: using my yield map for silage compensation

Scott City, KS
We grow a lot of corn silage on our farm. Due to high hay prices this year, corn silage was going for a premium over grain corn. That is, if you were less than 10 miles from a feedyard, silage was economically better than grain. In most years, the $$$$ are closer to a wash. That is something to keep in mind when negotiating your final price this year.

Out of curiosity, what was your silage yield (tons/acre) and what was the moisture? A general rule of thumb (from my observances) is 200 bu/acre corn equals 25 ton/acre silage and 250 bu/acre corn equals 30 ton/acre silage. So much depends on the moisture the silage is harvested at.

Our insurance agent has our silage corn adjusted at harvest each year. We do this to get our APH (if you use their tonnage conversion calculation, you'll really get screwed on your APH). Although I've been getting better adjustments the last couple years, I still hate this process b/c they always seem to estimate low. In the past, I've had them adjust circles that were picked for grain, and generally, they were 10-20% on the low side.

Now, for your question. I would only use your method if gives you a result that you feel comfortable with. In any type of negotiation, the more information you bring to the table the better. In the back of my mind, I would be wanting a price 10-20% higher than the guys growing corn specifically for silage. If your analysis supports this, I would bring it to the table; otherwise, I would leave it at home. Your silage can justify the higher price b/c it is most likely has higher feed value. If it is a Pioneer corn, talk to your sales representative as he will be able to give you details on the feedability of the specific hybrid you planted.

Finally, does anyone out there have any experience with John Deere's yield monitor for silage cutters? I had one ordered for our 7800 this year, but they postponed the release for another month. I know there were some test units running this harvest. Just curious on how well they worked.

Brian Vulgamore
Scott City, KS
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)