AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yield plots with statistically significant differences
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 11/18/2017 22:04 (#6374374 - in reply to #6373260)
Subject: RE: yield plots with statistically significant differences

Southeast WI
Well I just saw this and nkau said you posted this almost verbatim a few days ago on another post. Nick Viney explained it at least as well as I could! When you have one location of just a set of hybrids and no replication you have no idea if what you are seeing is real or just by chance. Replication and statistical analysis will help you get there at one site and if you take this same hybrid set and replicate over locations it can do the same. This is an approach companies like pioneer have used for years and it is quite valid.

Now what you are doing is not wrong as you select some good hybrids, go slow the next year and select again to add them at a higher level. This gives you a couple looks at hybrids before going large on any one of them. If you get the best hybrids from each company you are already stacking the deck in your favor - which is a good thing with as fast as hybrids change nowadays.

One thing I don't get is how a simple post like mine, using good research data gets some people all offended and bent out of shape. I really try to keep science and logic in my recs and comments I make here. I wasn't calling anyone out on anything other than pointing out issues with this selection method.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)