AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possible alternative to Tru-Count or Row Command...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

houghta3
Posted 12/8/2008 08:06 (#527571 - in reply to #526840)
Subject: RE: Possible alternative to Tru-Count or Row Command...

Saginaw Michigan
i know a few people that have used the seedstop system to shutoff sections of the planter. the verdict is that it is ok... not the greatest, but better than nothing. it is ok for shutting off a section of the planter for those odd rows on the edge of the field where you are going a great distance, but for shutting off for a few hundred feet isnt worth it, the plate drops 15' worth of seed in one spot when it loses the vac pressure, then it takes 15' to get the plate full again.
the benefit of swath control on the planter is saving that seed, it is counterproductive to be dropping a bunch of seed when it shuts off at a headland.
i think that the costs-benefits are different for each farm, it is a combo of field size and shape, and the value of the seed going through the planter. we paid for our trucount clutches the first year easily, because we farm quite a few pie shaped fields,. and we grow sugarbeets ($120/acre seed), corn($100/acre) and cucumbers($130/acre). if i was farming all square 80s and only planted non-gmo bin run beans and conventional corn, then i can say it would take forever to pay for itself.
-mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)