AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing my own cereal rye, is this worth the effort?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 10/8/2017 21:23 (#6296158 - in reply to #6295858)
Subject: RE: Growing my own cereal rye, is this worth the effort?

Thumb of Michigan
I don't know if I'd have details like seed size info around anymore. If I had a gun to my head, I still could only guess, and I don't like to do that.

In the big picture: I think varietal differences and traits will be available in the near future. There of course has been some work for specific end uses of cover crop seeds already - the development of specific varieties of Oilseed Radish to control sugar beet cyst nematodes for one- and I just have a feeling that that type of thing will really gain ground in the next few years.

As I understand it, Aroostook Rye was developed in Maine for potato growers in that climate, and there are traits other than the growth habits I think are worth looking at. I don't know if any of those were bred into the variety on purpose or they came along by accident. Anyway, and maybe I'm too much of a dreamer, but getting more traits identified and bred into a variety of a cover crop to do some more prescription type target applications would be pretty cool. The seed size doesn't make a huge difference to someone who's drilling or broadcasting for example. If its going through a plane, its a pretty big advantage to have smaller seed.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I will try to look up some info in my old notes if I can.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)