AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clover in wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 9/3/2017 17:09 (#6226688 - in reply to #6226658)
Subject: RE: The problem I experienced with ....

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
The problem I experienced with fall seeded clover is that the clover gets going too good too soon and comes up into the wheat during wheat harvest. Spring seeded clover's development is delayed just enough to avoid that problem. I seeded clover along with spring barley this year and used MCPA for weed control. Clover tolerates MCPA much better than straight 2,4 D and I think it helped slow down the clover just enough to get the barley off before the clover came up into it despite there being excess moisture this year. In a drier year, the clover doesn't seem to get going as fast. The nice thing about drilling the clover is the nice even distribution as opposed to using a broadcast seeder but both work.
I've often wondered how a tine weeder like we use for organic weed control would work in wheat? It seems to me that if you can tine weed corn maybe it would work in wheat. The major problem I see with spring seeding clover is the soil compacts so the clover seed just can't get in far enough to germinate. You might lose some tillers but maybe not so many as to hurt the wheat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)