AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compact Tractors and Tillers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nchobbyfarm
Posted 6/28/2017 14:01 (#6094493 - in reply to #6094075)
Subject: RE: Compact Tractors and Tillers

Eastern North Carolina
My FIL uses a JD 4600 & a 72" tiller for food plot & garden work. It works all right, but it is a little short on power to me for that size tiller. The JD 5103 handles it a bit better in my opinion, it doesn't stress the engine as much. The 4600 temp gets awful close to overheating if you don't watch it closely. I think that's more of a horsepower issue than a hydro/non-hydro issue though.

I like the geared machine for tillage & bush hog work, but man, that hydro is awesome for loader work, scraping paths, moving pallets with the forks, etc. An ag tired compact utility tractor with a tiller & loader/forks spaced appropriately to pull a cultivator down your rows would be the cat's meow for your produce operation. If you get forks, you could do the big boxes on pallets for your pumpkins & wholesale them too. It would also allow you to consider tractor mounted one or two row planters & transplanters if you decide to expand the produce op that way.

I would also second the idea of "field cruise" & mfwd on any hydro compact utility tractor. We have turf tires on the 4600 & the mfwd is a huge help when it gets muddy.

Your 7200 is going to be way overpowered for a 4-6' tiller & will end up roaching the gear box in my opinion.

Edited by nchobbyfarm 6/28/2017 14:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)