AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compact Tractors and Tillers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jd7730
Posted 6/28/2017 12:25 (#6094342 - in reply to #6094075)
Subject: RE: Compact Tractors and Tillers

SE MN
If you get a backward rotating tiller it will throw dirt all over the back of the tractor (and probably you too if you don't have a cab) and a forward rotating tiller will tend to push you in hard ground. I would get a forward rotating tiller and if you go with a compact tractor make sure it's 4wd because that will help hold it back when it tries to push. A JD 2210 or 2305 size would work pretty well for a 4' or 5' tiller. The x700 series will be a lighter tractor and I think too light for a 5', maybe ok for a 4'. I can understand your point with the hydro on a tiller though. I just finished up doing several hours of tilling to prepare for seeding a lawn and I actually had the same thought about the hydro running a tiller. You have to hold it the whole time your tilling at a very slow speed. Some of the smaller JD's have a cruise setting for the hydro, but our 2210 does not. I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything like that and you'll get used to it, but if the tractor had the right gear speeds then putting it in a slow gear would make it nicer to operate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)