AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Factoring orifice size for Hickenbottom Tile Intakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

j&d
Posted 5/1/2017 13:48 (#5994012 - in reply to #5993670)
Subject: RE: Factoring orifice size for Hickenbottom Tile Intakes

S.E. Iowa
Any small bladed saw will work my Leatherman is always handy and has a small bladed saw. Suggest you take a look on Hickenbottom website to view a slotted intake. Last time I checked it was cheaper to cut my own then to buy a slotted intake sorry I'm not very good at posting pictures. Too lazy to learn I guess.

To the original poster ..... Common Sense goes a long way in determining what approach to take and it sounds like you've got a good idea. Don't cut that restrict or smaller than two and a half inch and make sure that it is installed correctly like a cup. I think Mark and Steve Hickenbottom have both told me that if i ever see one plug they like to see it. Local contractors hate them cuz they claim they plug. Hickenbottom say if installed properly and intake stays on they should not plug. Of course anything's possible.

The reason I suggested cutting slots in second Terrace with most water is because you said top Terrace was only half-full. I'm assuming that means halfway up the intake. If that's the case I question whether or not your top Terrace is able to put enough water into the tile to fill it. The restrictor in the top intake is indeed a good place to start.

Another thing you can use instead of a restrictor is a 5 inch intake to reduce the flow but that opens up a whole nother can of worms and questions .Many local contractors use them here. I hate them because our cows , wildlife and Equipment tend to snap them extremely easily. Hickenbottom say they have to be molded the way they are with a little indent where they snap. We've tried other brands of intakes but always go back to Hickenbottoms.
I've said enough. Good luck. Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)