AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Factoring orifice size for Hickenbottom Tile Intakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

j&d
Posted 5/1/2017 09:16 (#5993579 - in reply to #5992692)
Subject: RE: Factoring orifice size for Hickenbottom Tile Intakes

S.E. Iowa
I will take a shot....done a lot of this and farm around many but still won't say i am an expert by any means. Contrary to what anyone tells you this is not an exact science. There are many factors affecting flow rates including the size and slope of the offset tiles, whether or not t's or wye's were used, and how much trash may have accumulated around the intake. Also how large of a rain event.
I'm troubled by that 8-inch in take down at the bottom. I'm wondering whether it's on 8-inch line that reduces to 6 for the top 2 fills....whether it's dual or simply single wall. Is it on an 8-inch line or a 6-inch line. If that 8 inch intake is on the same 6-inch line you may be creating some serious head pressure right above it and you need to reduce that intake to 6 inch as well as use a restrictor in both the bottom and top intakes. Probably cut restrictors out to the 2.5 inch size to start with. Hickenbottoms now make a intake reducer but not sure what sizes are available.
Assuming that 8-inch intake at the bottom is on an 8-inch line I would probably go to your upper Terrace that's holding the most water and start by cutting some slots at the second to bottom 4 set of holes of the intake to allow some of that early water to get away sooner. I make my own slotted Intakes all the time rather than purchase them. It's cheaper that way and I can cut a few slots at a time until I find out what works. I just use my leatherman. I don't think you're going to overwhelm that 6-inch line with the kind of fall you said you had with just two 6-inch intakes feeding it. Again, that's assuming the bottom intake is on an 8-inch line.
There can be serious frustration if you start getting tile blowouts or terrace breaches so make alterations slowly.
That's my best guess with the information given. Kind of also depends on how much area that bottom intake is trying to control, and how fast you may need to get that away. Hope this helps. Good luck and continue to monitor them. Jeff

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)