AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rocks or mulch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 6/5/2014 16:24 (#3903748 - in reply to #3903186)
Subject: RE: rocks or mulch

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

bbbreezy - 6/5/2014 08:58 Have both also and agree with the landscape cloth! I use(d) mulch in my large flower garden and granite chips paths and mulch paths in my hosta garden. Round back of house granite chips and larger plantings and rock plantings, I very much like the stone where laid as it is great for paths thru garden beds. The mulch that I put down 4 or so years ago did a great job of amending the soil. I need more mulch in my large flower garden but it will cost about $750 to re-apply! The stone lasts forever. Re-seeding of perennials is more likely with mulch than stone. They are both good and there is no reason that you cannot use both in the same garden bed. I used red/black granite and red mulch and it looked great. bbbreezy not to keen on me paying $$$$ for stone though! \bbbreezys wife

You mention that stone lasts forever.......... I'd modify that with a  "kinda". We did stone in a couple of the original beds we put in when we built the house. They've now sunk down to where we're going to have to top dress with river rock again. Granted that it's been 40 years, so certainly not as frequent a replacement/top dress as mulch requires, but I'm not as much in the mood to work that hard with the rock again either! :~

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)