AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Property tax.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Luckyfarmer
Posted 6/3/2014 21:25 (#3900739 - in reply to #3900458)
Subject: RE: Property tax.

Central South Dakota
I like roads, I like schools, but I'm tired of paying for whatever everyone thinks the deserve instead of voting for what they can afford. In SD 70% of your property tax goes to fund education. If it costs $10,000 to educate a child in district, the state tries to provide about 54% of the funding and the other 46% comes through local effort in property taxes. So for each child you have attending school you need to be paying $6571 in property taxes per child attending school or else your dumping the responsibilities of your child's education on someone else. The people in our county just voted to build a $7.5 million dollar school, the people in town voted for it, but 70% of the cost is being paid by ag land based on district evaluations. The people in town passed an $300,000 dollar school opt out to take more money, the county has a road tax opt out and they were trying for another county road opt out. Enough is enough. I see in the Aberdeen paper that the Hoven school burned down, I hear they are considering rebuilding the school for 55 kids when you have two different communities with schools within 20 miles of either direction of it. The people have to start demanding better, smarter, and more efficient use of their tax dollars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)