AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How does a young guy get started?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 4/28/2014 17:58 (#3841959 - in reply to #3841125)
Subject: RE: How does a young guy get started?

Frytown, Iowa
You can use your parents farm as an advantage to you however keep your mind from telling yourself your parents farm is your future. Your parents farm is a bonus if you get a chance to buy it. You are your future and when you get a family of your own your job is not to be big fancy farmer or even to be a farmer at all. It's to provide and "Make the most money for your time"

Don't make the mistake some make by working for peanuts "at the farm" because your dream is to farm. Farming takes so much money it makes my head spin.

Back to what I said at first. Using your parents farm for YOUR advantage. If your parents don't have a big enough farm to employ you full time at 50k per year there is probably something they hire out. Livestock hauling, chemical spraying, tiling, fertilizer spreading... Use your parents farm to make the payments on a cheap implement big enough to do your parents AND do custom work. I bought a cheaper self propelled sprayer (854) and my parents acres made the annual payment and any extra acres were my income. You could do the same with hauling livestock. Buy a semi and pot trailer and load hogs/cattle at all hours of the day.

Find a local who has some hog barns and take care of their hogs.. At 5-6/hog space you can do that in the mornings and evenings and still have time for a full time job... Everything adds up and make it add up. Any of these jobs pays far better than small peas hourly at the farm.

Be sure to remember the cash HAS to flow first before you get to farm. Debt doesn't necessarily make you more money, make sure you have cash flow income first. Money money money and lots of it. Don't pass up a high paying job in your degree. Your ultimate goal is to make the most money for your time. Before your married you have lots of it so keep your ass at work. Because after marriage and when you have kids you then need to take time from work and include them. Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)