AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How does a young guy get started?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 4/28/2014 12:23 (#3841353 - in reply to #3841125)
Subject: Work on the side in Your Major

Napanee, Ontario
..and contribute what you save and don't need to live on, to your family farm operation.

Pay towards mortgage, seed, fuel, any expenses... next equipment purchase.... whatever you can do with your money to help out. You can still be actively involved nights and weekends, and this way, you arn't just another moouth to feed for yor family's money.

We are expanding our operation bit by bit, and eventually will get to the point where i won't have to work anymore on the side - or at least that's the plan. But for now, that's how i contribute, and it's been that way for several years. My contributions have allowed us to expand our cow herd over those years and i hope within the next cpl years, we will reach a point where i don't have to work the side job anymore and the famr can cover my living as well as my parents and brother's.

Some might say this sucks, but if you arn't born into a operation that can pay every memeber a good salary (it would be hard to make even 50% of the salary that i get now in Finance), then what other choice do you have? Just slowing up and expecting a paychq after college wasn't going to happen for me.

Edited by OldMcdonald 4/28/2014 13:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)