AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight and split planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/27/2008 06:54 (#320581 - in reply to #320324)
Subject: Some thoughts

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I did a little work on the bench last year with a Rawson drive being run with the Rawson box and a serial connection to an Insight.

This was not the new setup where the Rawson drive is being run directly by the Insight which is promised for this year.

For what it's worth, the split planter concept was not available last year when using the Insight to indirectly control the planting rate. This was for a one drive system so the entire planter was planted at the same rate but each half of the planter could be shutoff by the operator using a switch on the Rawson box.

I did make up a special harness using Seed Command to shut off/on the two halves for point rows. This special harness intercepted the regular Rawson harness and Seed Command acted as a point row shut off. This interception tee in essence shut off each half like the operator used to do manually. The point row shutoff concept is actually a separate activity from the population control.

We need to be careful that we don't confuse split planter (Variety A in the left half and Variety B in the right half) and Seed Command for two sections where each section is shut ON/OFF automatically for point rows. In each case we are talking about something for each "half" of the planter but in one case it is starting or stopping the rows from planting and in another it is the variety mapping.

I'm not sure if split planter can be handled the way one might like with the current new setup since I haven't seen one yet.

Many operators would like the following: Use the Insight to directly control the Rawson drive for population control (VR most likely or operator input), a Seed Command type setup where the two halves are shut off properly for point rows and the ability to log two different varieties in each half of the planter.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't know if all of the above criteria can be met at this time.

The older PF Pro and the Advantage worked with the Rawson directly but this was before any thought was given to logging split planter for varieties.

Edited by tedbear 2/27/2008 06:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)