AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight and split planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

agger802
Posted 2/28/2008 17:19 (#321881 - in reply to #320324)
Subject: Re: Insight and split planter

NE MO & W IL
Dave,

OK, just got done talking to Ag Leader again this afternoon. After explaining exactly what I (and you) wanted to do, the techs discussed things again, and NO, we CAN'T log split planter varieties while variable rate seeding with one rawson drive. It is really just a firmware issue they have right now. When we variable rate plant with the Insight and rawson, the Insight has to be in application mode, therefore, the only way to "log" two varieties in application mode is two have 2 rawsons running on each side and talking back to the Insight with variety and rate info. The whole problem is...the Insight will not run site verification and application mode simultaneously. If it could, then yes, we could variable rate plant with one rawson in application mode, while logging the split planter in site verification mode.

They (Ag leader) are well aware of this problem now and claim several others have called in trying to figure this out. So, the good news is, there is much demand for this kind of setup. The tech assured me that the problem has been noted and they have plans to fix this. The bad news...it will probably not be fixed by planting season. So, one has to decide if he logs split planter or variable rates OR bites the bullet and buys another rawson drive to do both, which is not cheap. I myself will not be buying two rawsons, plus a Insight, plus a CAN bus module to talk to the rawsons, etc. You're looking at over 10 grand for the setup. Adding the seed command and air clutches would be even more. In your case, I guess you would just have to add another rawson to your planter, but, since they have promised to fix things down the road, I'd probably just wait.

Good luck, let me know what you get figured out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)