AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Picking versus Combing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tomcat
Posted 11/26/2013 19:53 (#3472100 - in reply to #3470892)
Subject: RE: Corn Picking versus Combing

Ludington/Manistee MI area

CactusWest - 11/26/2013 10:33 I would like to know if any one is still corn picking versus using a combine. I recall back in the late 50's farmers were still picking. Now the combine has replace the corn picker. For someone who has a 300 to 500 acre farm , I would think the economics might favor using a corn picker like a one or two row husker, pull type. When you think about it, with a corn picker it would appear that you have a little more flexibility regarding harvesting the crop in adverse weather conditions. Most folks with a combine will pull out of a field during a wet snow or for that matter in persistent drizzle conditions. With a corn picker you can charge on as long as the dirt will keep you afloat. When it come to storage, you do not need $50K-$100K storage bins. For that matter you can pile it on the ground and wrap a picket fence around your pile as it piles up. The corn with cob sort of dry's itself. So over overall the saving -- corn picker ~ $2000 - $3.000 versus combine ~ $7000-$15K old and $30-$200K late/new. The corn picker also cost's a lot less to maintain. Agree the corn picker is a slower, but if you only had 500 acres of corn, it seems doable with a picker. What am I missing? Would appreciate hearing thoughts/comments on the subject matter. Thanks

What controled substance are you on???  I can do more with our combine and a 6 row head in 10 minutes than my grandparents did in a day with a one row picker.  No one has mentioned the mud factor a tractor pulling a picker pulling a wagon is terrible in the mud.  Our hired help grew up on the farm that I own now couple weeks ago he was reminising about him and pa having 4 tractors stuck in the mud picking corn.  Yes I have fond memories of help grandpa as a kid picking corn and handling it but never would want to do it on any scale.  From time to time we pick a wagon or two of ear corn for someone for wildlife food and it doesn't take long to realize how much more he!! ear corn is.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)