AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Picking versus Combing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CactusWest
Posted 11/26/2013 10:33 (#3470892)
Subject: Corn Picking versus Combing

I would like to know if any one is still corn picking versus using a combine. I recall back in the late 50's farmers were still picking. Now the combine has replace the corn picker. For someone who has a 300 to 500 acre farm , I would think the economics might favor using a corn picker like a one or two row husker, pull type. When you think about it, with a corn picker it would appear that you have a little more flexibility regarding harvesting the crop in adverse weather conditions. Most folks with a combine will pull out of a field during a wet snow or for that matter in persistent drizzle conditions. With a corn picker you can charge on as long as the dirt will keep you afloat. When it come to storage, you do not need $50K-$100K storage bins. For that matter you can pile it on the ground and wrap a picket fence around your pile as it piles up. The corn with cob sort of dry's itself. So over overall the saving -- corn picker ~ $2000 - $3.000 versus combine ~ $7000-$15K old and $30-$200K late/new. The corn picker also cost's a lot less to maintain. Agree the corn picker is a slower, but if you only had 500 acres of corn, it seems doable with a picker.

What am I missing? Would appreciate hearing thoughts/comments on the subject matter. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)