AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying and selling bulls every year???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 8/17/2013 22:37 (#3273377)
Subject: Buying and selling bulls every year???

Am I crazy for thinking this way? I'm a young guy starting out and run 30 cows. My bull supplier sells stock at a reasonable price. The kill market has been good. My biggest obstacle is I don't have a place to put him during the non breeding season. I winter my cows for 6 months on 3 acres and have 3 pens, but one will be tied up with replacement heifers, the other with cows, and the other one I need for sorting or access to barn during calving season in spring. I held my bull over the winter a year ago and what a pain...he was mellow and didn't cause any problems during the winter but during calving I tried to keep him seperate and I have good corrals and he was causing problems, so I let him out with the cows and low and behold I had calves a month and a half early, it was a long calving season!

Anyway, I'm sure I could find someone to winter one for me but I don't like that idea either. You know bulls, they fight and anything could happen and I'd hate for mine to hurt someone else's higher priced bull! That could cause some tension!

So what I'm asking and thinking is usually I pay around 2000 for a bull. I don't know what he weighs as a year and a half but I'd estimate 1400. The slaughter bull market us anywhere from .85-1.03 here. Say I get .90 for him, that's $1260. That's a difference of $740. Basically it's costing me $25 a cow to breed. I don't believe that is so bad. Most semen sticks I see are going for 18-35 so doing it this way isn't out of line.

Is this good thinking?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)