AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Salary position for a farm hand?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tjim
Posted 4/19/2013 19:55 (#3048568 - in reply to #3048489)
Subject: RE: Salary position for a farm hand?

California/Oregon

WildBuckwheat - 4/19/2013 19:20

How can you do this fairly? How do you stay motivated? Does it really all balance out over the year? Is it fair?

I'm 63, have had many jobs in my life...most salaried; drove truck, farmed on my own, was a pastor/chaplain, and currently work on my brother's farm for a salary that most people would not like. I've never worried about what's "fair". In every job I took I knew the conditions and always did the best I could. I also appreciated having a roof over my head and food on the table even though it's never been very fancy. "Does it all balance out in the year?" You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure that one out. Some years "balance" (not even sure what that means) and some don't seem to go so well but "balance" is only real when it leads to peace and contentment.

One of my favorite Bible verses is Phillipians 4:11-12 "Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need." Whether or not a person is Christian (which I am) or athiest this verse is one of the true keys to a fruitful and peaceful life. Or to real "balance".

"Fair" is working hard and doing one's best because it's the right thing to do...in other words it's how one controls his/her own life. Not how someone else controls us. If you can't live on the salary it's perfectly ok to quit and find a better job. But if you knew the conditions going in there's no room for complaint...do you best or do the employer a favor and quit. If, however the emplyer lied to you, do yourself a favor and move on or man up and work. Just don't be doing anything halfway...you'll sleep (and live)  much better knowing you're doing the best you can. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)