AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers that time has passed by.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 4/18/2013 22:57 (#3046631 - in reply to #3046517)
Subject: The Great Depression mentality.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
The Great Depression was something very significant to people who grew up in that time. Some were more affected than others. There was a large percentage of our population who lived that time and knew what is what like to have very little, or nothing at all. Lot of them refused to throw anything of value out later on, because of the that experience. My grandfather was a good example, he'd been poor throughout the Great Depression, and wasn't neccessarily cheap or a hoarder, but he wasn't going to throw crooked nails out either when you could keep them. Might need to straighten them out and use them later. Doesn't make sense to you or I, but we've never seen a time where we couldn't go to the hardware store and buy a nail.

The post Depression era was when our country grew and developed like nothing seen before, or since. People who had seen destitution and real poverty didn't worry too much about minor environmental concerns, the feelings of a minority group, or global warming. They cared about building a better nation for themselves and their kids. Now, we are several generations beyond that, and most have lost touch with that attitude. You see where people's priorities are now. LGBT issues, Endangered Species, and the poor oppressed Indians are more important than making sure we build new freeways or a nuclear powerplant. People worry more about how their food was grown than if they will have enough.

Plenty of farmers still around who just have a different mindset. I like it myself. Keeps things interesting, and you can always learn from what someone else is doing, right or wrong. Those guys who are tight with a nickel but are supposedly loaded didn't get that way by chance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)