AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is corn plant spacing blown way out of proportion?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 3/24/2013 21:49 (#2988961 - in reply to #2987725)
Subject: RE: Is corn plant spacing blown way out of proportion?

EC Nebraska

crowbar - 3/24/2013 14:36

Lucas,

Thanks for the info.

Yesterday, I dropped 6 openers off of my 16-row, so we will plant-2-skip-1 on both corn and beans this year. This is in response to our drought forecast, residue situation, and current moisture.

I have always had problems with corn setting a second and third ear (@ 16000). The plants seem to think they are in Illinois until tassling in mid-June. When the going gets tough, it hits the wall and goes from 150 bu potential to an actual 40-80 bu. Unless you tell me otherwise, I intend to keep my pop at 16000, which amounts to 24000 "down-the-row". My hope is to give the plants a little more competition early to suppress the extra ears, while preserving some soil moisture for late June and July. In essence, I'm trying to make progress on your points 2 and 3.

Regards.

MDS

Crowbar, you might find this article worth reading: http://cropwatch.unl.edu/web/cropwatch/archive?articleID=4780375

from the article: "Risk-averse growers will see the greatest reduction in yield variability with the double skip-row pattern, while growers with moderate risk-aversion may want to consider the single skip-row pattern. We recommend using either of these two patterns when grain yields are expected to be less than about 75 bushels per acre.

If yields are expected to fall between 75 and 100 bushels per acre, growers may consider using the single skip-row pattern. For areas with yield potentials of more than 100 bushels per acre, growers should use standard planting patterns. We did not see sufficient response to planting two rows and skipping one row to recommend its use instead of the standard planting pattern. "

Edited by NE Ridger 3/24/2013 21:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)