AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Please debate calving date here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JRthefarmer
Posted 2/26/2013 19:28 (#2928431 - in reply to #2927309)
Subject: Re: Please debate calving date here

SESD
I shoot for bulls in on may 3, my birthday. This gives about a feb 9 calving date. I was looking at records for the last 6yrs and my earliest first calf was on 2/7 and latest first calf was 2/12. For me, I hate mud. Not much mud in Feb. I can hang out with them all day in feb. Not so in april or even march when the ground thaws and can be doing other things. I like to be basically done by the end of march, except for a couple stragglers. I have enough barn that I can get 15-even 20 if needed. I just get the ones that are close in, which is about 4-8 usually. Dad starts in the middle of march, and I hate fighting the mud. Whether it's grabbing a calf or cows having calves in dumb places, mud is worse in many respects. I also see a little size bump by the time we sell compared to dads. Bulls are in early and don't have to be marching around the pasture in 100* weather. They are still in the lot for a couple weeks when the bull goes in.

There is no ideal time. All times have pros and cons. You need to do what you are comfortable with and work with it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)