AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

thoughts on share cropping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 11/11/2012 09:57 (#2690485 - in reply to #2690168)
Subject: RE: thoughts on share cropping

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
There is plenty of irrigated land that isn't worth $160/acre. It wasn't long ago that was average cash rent here. But I can go 60 mil either direction and rent land for that. Lot of factors to consider, we don't all live in the corn belt, he didn't say where he was located. By the same token you are not going to gross $1500 on that land either.

Standard crop share here is 1/3 to the landowner. They pay the district O&M for water deliver, and the taxes. Tennant pays for all crop inputs, storage, irrigation pumping costs, and irrigates. I always thought it was pretty fair to both parties. I'd think that having the landlord pay a % of inputs would get complicated real fast, and you'd have to keep everything separate. With prices the last couple of years there has been some share rents that have gone way over $500/acre, and that is in an area with a 90 day growing season and zero frost free days. We all know it won't last for every, and the beauty of share rent is you pay extra now, and if prices drop the rent drops as well. I tell the gal I rent from I'm paying ahead on the rent... ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)