AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seeding triticale pictures
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

billonthefarm
Posted 9/21/2012 20:49 (#2602791)
Subject: seeding triticale pictures

Farmington IL
We are offically committed to our triticale experiment! Like everyone else we are trying to squeeze more forage out of less acres all the time. Our plan, such as it is, will be to chop and bag this in the spring and follow it with soybeans. Since we are just trying this out we only seeded about a dozen acres. Did alot of research and started out planning on rye but that led us to triticale.

This part of the corn field was chopped for silage. Doing tillage before seeding seemed to be a constant theme so last weekend one evening nick hooked up the disk and it helped get rid of the volunteer corn as well as work in the manure that had been applied and started to make a seedbed.

Just before noon yesterday we hooked up to dads cultivator to level the seedbed up, work in the commercial fertilizer that was applied and tear out the rest of the corn.

There was a fair amount of head scratching on my part. Trying for 100 lbs per acre and with the drill set for wheat, which was supposed to be close, it seemed to be overseeding so with a little adjusting it seemed to work out good.

The finished product looked just fine. I sure hope there arent many skippers since I will see it everyday when I walk out the back door.

Untill I opened the first bag, I had never laid eyes on this stuff. I've never seen it growing either. I purchased it from our fertilizer supplier and I asked them what it looked like and they had never seen it either. If this works we plan on doing much more. If it DOESNT work we will be glad we started out only doing a dozen acres!
I'll keep everyone posted.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)