AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed firmer problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

msb
Posted 6/12/2006 11:12 (#18932 - in reply to #18917)
Subject: RE: seed firmer problem?

Lapel, In
The seed firmers are Keetons which cause little or no problems in soils that are really right to plant in.Sometimes soil that is too sticky can build up on the Keetons (especially if using them for pop up fertilizer application)although I have never experience that in over ten years of use with them.The theory behind the Keeton beavertail is the seed trench closes in on the tail and holds them in the center of the seed trench and puts an even down pressure on the seed themselves . I doubt the firmers are pushing the seed off to the side

I would rather suspect your true vee opener is not adjusted correctly and is not forming a true vee in the trench.If the openers are set to far apart then the openers will form a seed trench that is W shaped and then the seed must fall to one side or the other.Then the Keeton would only escaberate the problem.

Check to see if the openers have a 2" interference.That is they touch each other for a distance of 2 inches.Use a piece of paper to check this.You should not ne able to pull the paper from that area if the setting is correct.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)