AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed firmer problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

soygary
Posted 6/12/2006 09:39 (#18917)
Subject: seed firmer problem?

We bought a JD 7240 12 row 20 inch for no-till soybeans. That worked fine. Plant corn with 7200 in 30 inch rows. Sensor on the 7200 went out so swapped in tube and sensor from the 7240. The 7240 had seed firmers of the long white sideways beaver tail style--could not see a brand name on them. To cut to the chase I noticed a little uneven spacing and occasional bunching in that row while spraying corn. I planted some conventional till RR soybeans with this planter. These were planted from the 20 to the 25 of May. Had been dry and Saturday noticed that row was coming up slower. Now have plenty of rain so most should grow. Looked at the 7200 and no broken iron parts as far as depth control. My theory is that the seed firmer was pushing the seed off to the side. It is also possible the opener disks are not shimmed correctly--second year on the opener disks. In the no-till beans the firmers seemed to work fine, but are they needed in no-till beans? Good planting conditions this year in the no-tills. In this area of SC MN not many use seed firmers. The 7240 came from Sheffield Iowa area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)