AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rain a substitute for fertility
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 6/30/2012 21:24 (#2459179 - in reply to #2458692)
Subject: RE: rain a substitute for fertility

SEON

$272 is a lot for just map on 88 acres i think. Now if this is a 2 year program and this includes MAP and MOP or Nitrogen that's a different story. Like tj said, if it's 88 acres and $272 an acre for just MAP i'd be mad as well.

Sorry. I made a mistake in my original post. I should have wrote "$24,000 of MAP and potash on 88 acres".

Here is the back story. My father bought this farm in Dec of 2011 and basically said to me, "Here is this farm do whatever you want as long as it's what I want". I suggested $14 soybeans in spring of 2012, then winter wheat Sept 2012 underseeded with hay. He said "We're in the hay business, not the soybean business".

Ok fine. Soil samples came back very poor. We are a certified organic hay producer so this was my last chance to apply "cheap" non organic fertilizer before we went into the 36 month transition to organic. I did the math and applied 3 years worth of the P and K that alfalfa would remove. $24,000 + 1,100 for application and tender. May 2012 I drilled annual rye grass underseeded with alfalfa.

Alfalfa looks really good but I think the rye grass could have used more N. I don't think 20 lbs of actual N was enough. That's what I get for trying to save him money. :)

Edited by rank 6/30/2012 22:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)