AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving Concrete Bin Pad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dan Vanderwell
Posted 6/19/2012 10:30 (#2437701 - in reply to #2437273)
Subject: Re: Moving Concrete Bin Pad

Been there done that and it works! Bought 6 19' hopper bins and was able to move the pads they were on, 35 miles down the road. They were 21'x21' by 13" thick 3/4" rebar on 2' centers. Held together good. A little heavier than I was planning cause the guy was getting forgetful in his old age and thought they used a rough cut 8" board not 12"s . Just dug a sloping trench with a wheel loader to back the trailer under the leading edge thew down planks to skid the pad onto the trailer and save the deck. Used a hoe and wheel loader to push the pads onto trailer. They were poured on sand and vapour barrier so they broke loose fairly easy. Had to go down about 30 miles of secondary highway so getting the permits and was as much hassle as dealing with the pads. Alberta transportation doesn't seem to understand what a concrete pad is. Had to rig up the pilot trucks for the bin move anyways. At the unload just levelled out about 8" of sand back trailer into position lift one side of pad and put dozer blade under to hold it. Lift other side. Drive trailer out and set down. The sand wasn't level because of the trailer tracks but after I set it down just worked it back and forth a few inches squaring it up to the other pads. They settled into place. That was last fall been filled and emptied and no cracks that weren't there before the move. There were some other 6" pads that were quite badly cracked about every foot or so and they wouldn't take the lifting. If I only had to go a few hundred feet I would try lifting and putting a skid like a power pole or the like under each side and pulling to where you want them. Throw 'em down a sand base and don't worry about mudjacking them. Plus your who likes forming and pouring concrete and your anchor bolts are already in the right spot. Any questions ask away. Just my $.02

Edited by Dan Vanderwell 6/19/2012 10:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)