AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigation Power unit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

5250JB
Posted 6/19/2012 09:38 (#2437629 - in reply to #2436939)
Subject: RE: Irrigation Power unit

Jerseyville,IL
Depends if it the 2 ring piston or if there are 3 ring aftermarket pistons in it .
When was it last rebuilt ?
What is governor speed set at ? If set to high side then number for oil within CAT specs
What percent is the load factor on the engine?
If above 80 % when pumping then the oil usage is about right.
As to quick shut down although less than ideal would think damage would be about the same
as in genset which go to full load in a matter of seconds and shut down the same in reverse .
Plus the usable life on 3208 in high load jobs were limited , it was built to replace Ford LIMA series truck engine
which they out lasted at least 2 to 1 on average.
Hope this helps.
JB
Clayshootr - 6/18/2012 21:07

I just installed my first irrigation system. I have an old (1977) non-turbo 3208 Cat for the power unit. I had two questions.

First, I have just changed the oil for the first time (Shell Rotella 15w-40) at about 100 hrs. It used about 5 quarts of oil in that time. Is this something to worry about?

Second, I live about 3 hrs away and control it from my phone. I have always cooled down my diesel engines before shutdown. When I shut it down it just kills it and it does not get a chance to cool down. Will this cause any harm to this old engine?

Thanks for any info!
TJ

Edited by 5250JB 6/19/2012 09:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)