AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Something for Everyone to Shoot Holes IN !! Moved From Crop Talk.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Arnie
Posted 10/11/2007 09:57 (#217775 - in reply to #217077)
Subject: Pivot Tracks and comments

Lucas,

Actually I am just a bit north of you around the Husker Harvest Days area with corn being excellent to fair depending on….?  On the subject of flow rates just when we think we are calibrated we go to a different variety and the scale shows the previous calibration is now off.  Just the other day over lunch I had a friendly debate with a Pioneer marketing rep about them using yield monitor data to add to the replications of variety testing vs. using a scale to do that.  He did add that they keep those records separate but let’s just say we did not agree on the concept of even using a yield monitor to compare hybrid selections.  Having said all that yield monitors are still very good in the relative (i.e. pivot tracks) and so as you said yield maps should be THE foundation of PA.

On the subject of using a 90 foot applicator, even if it is a single boom width like a spinner, I would still keep using high resolution prescriptions as the source of data to the controller.  There are many reasons that could possibly be a dedicated post subject but they range from bang bang value changes to 10+ boom section control that is starting to be more popular.  Some of these opinions come from my experience with vertical machine control of scrapers and the old days of bang bang valves using 2 values….wide open and closed.  Today the proportional valves are more “infinite” and thus much smoother.

I personally prefer more infinite gradual stepping and control with higher resolution surfaces vs. say a bang bang change with a few values that most likely are pretty far apart from each other.  I think this is referred to as “management zones” in the industry.  As Marv stated the controllers tend to smooth things out but that would tend to overshoot and undershoot application going into and out of those areas.  It may just be a matter of syntax but I think we should keep the resolution high and let the application processes catch up.

Arnie

Edited by Arnie 10/11/2007 10:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)