AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crooked Co-op managers............How do you give them an incentive......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Don Kraft
Posted 9/30/2007 09:17 (#212033 - in reply to #211489)
Subject: Re: Crooked Co-op managers............How do you give them an incentive......

Don't you think that these elevators act as accumulaters for the ethanol plants? I'll bet they enter contracts to be suppliers of corn for the E plants with guaranteed margins built in. The E plants cannot depend on farmer loyalty especially with elevators competing for supplies. That corn just might to to another concern or down the rail. Thus the E plant must be looking for such deals.

What I wonder about is the coops being so closely tied to the e-plants that they miss alternative opportunities that just might benefit the farmer/owners. What is confusing is the relationship between the coops and their owner members. It's being said that the manager and boards sole objective is to make profits for the coop. Yet farmers own the coop and expect rewards from their investment. If my interests are not served, then its better to sell my investment and use my money elsewhere.

I see little benefit in piling up retained savings in a disinterested coop. If they don't recognize me as having an important role in the Coop (aka Owner) then what possible value is the coop to me? I would rather invest in a concern that is indeed interesting in improving my bottom line.

Perhaps we need farmer owned grain facilities owned and operated solely for the benefit of the owners. Not a grain market but soley a grain storage facility that provides farmers with the independence to store there and find the best market available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)