AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Took a steer in for processing this morning - pleasant surprise (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/29/2012 23:36 (#2260403 - in reply to #2260088)
Subject: Re: Took a steer in for processing this morning - Black Herefords etc.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Bill, maybe I should have said I FELT like I was in the hole. Probably made some money selling the corn but not much. I know I am a poor farmer by your standards. However due to a combination of weather and personal factors I seem to often end up with 30%++ moisture near 200 bu corn in WI in November.

If I got into a detailed explanation of how I grow corn and my costs to do so you (or others) would most likely then report me for "selling".

Lets just let that explanation suffice, OK? Whatever I say further you will find fault with so why continue? I already spend too much time replying to negative comments. If you don't like my posts, just put me on your blocked list as the NAT software provides.

Matt, I AM openly partial to Herefords which a long time cattleman neighbor got me started with. The Herefords have certain breed characteristics as do other breeds. I have no axe to grind on various breeds. Others here are partial to many other breeds.

One thing that does get under my skin is the idea that if I should happen to want to sell at a sale barn for some reason, my cattle will likely sell for less than a similar quality and weight etc one with a black hide. I suspect I am not alone in that respect. I recently received a sale flyer in the mail from a ranch in Kansas talking about their "Black Herefords". 

I was going to type a quote from their sale flyer but what's the point? No matter what I post you and Bill will find fault with it.

The weight 1545 lb is what appeared on my Tru Test ID 3000 as I loaded the above steer this morning. It is self zeroing but could in fact be off. I check that they are fully on the scale and not pushing on anything when I write down a weight. I did not use the rfid wand this morning since the weather was closing in and I was loading just this one animal. I just plugged in the indicator and read it for my own information and to enter into cattlemax. This steer is long, low and solid but yes the weight I saw on the indicator could be off. It is usually not. It did go back to zero when he stepped off the platform. As you point out, it could also be the pictures. I did not take them with the idea of proving to someone on NAT what he weighs.

I will not sell my cattle at a discount solely because of color of hide.  I do not sell breeding stock, just hamburger and steaks. I have no reason to try to "sell" Herefords.  I am just relating what I am doing as do many others here.

As said above, this is just an experiment.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 2/29/2012 23:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)