AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heifer prolapse after pulling calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 2/25/2012 09:26 (#2250356 - in reply to #2249587)
Subject: Re: Heifer prolapse after pulling calf

Faunsdale, AL
I know no one wants to replace a prolaps a second time, but if you get it put back in and straightened out inside, it won't come back out. Of course I wouldn't leave her laying facing up a steep slope, but you're not going to have gotten it back in pushing up ANY kind of slope anyway.

I've heard of using a wine bottle if you're arm is too short to get it completely turned back rightside out. Cousin of mine always has a tall tale to beat any other tall tale and he swears each one is true. Anyway he claims a guy he worked with lost his grip on the wine bottle and couldn't retrieve it. They lost track of the cow and next year they found her and her new calf and the wine bottle!

Easiest trick to replace a prolapse is to pull the cow's legs out behind her ( like a frog jumping in a pond ) and tie them off or have someone hold them by leaning back into a rope tied to each foot. Then you have a place to rest something to hold the uterus up. A piece of plywood, tailgate of a small truck, cafeteria tray, whatever's available. Lay it across the hocks, wash the uterus up, remove as much placenta as you can get to remove as much filth as possible. Then lube it up and start stuffing! Some helpers to hold the tray up helps too. It'll almost "pour" off the tray and go back home (well not quite pour, but still helps to keep every tiny bit you get stuffed in from coming back out even a little).

Oh and an epidural makes a huge difference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)