AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heifer prolapse after pulling calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cjohnson
Posted 2/24/2012 20:55 (#2249538)
Subject: Heifer prolapse after pulling calf

Athens, TX
1st calf heifer had a big calf, came out head first without the feet. The calf was already dead when we found her. We pushed the head back in and had a really hard time getting the front feet to come out, then pulled the calf. Well the heifer was able to stand after this and I thought she would be fine. All this happened last night, and this morning we found her uterus prolapsed. We reduced the prolapse and sowed her up. She was real loose and uterus seemed to want to try to prolapse with her contractions even after the vagina was sutured closed. I added some extra sutures distal from the vaginal opening to tighten things up a bit. She was in bad shape, already felt a little cool like developing shock but was able to stand after we were done. She could walk but was staggering some. We left her alone, went to check on her this evening and she was lying down but was alert, head up, but did not get up when I walked in the pen. It looks like there is a bulge at the vagina and lots of pressure on those stitches, like is still trying to prolapse. I just left her resting, put some cubes out for her and she ate some.

Any suggestions on more to do for her at this point?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)