AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heifer prolapse after pulling calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 2/25/2012 09:09 (#2250321 - in reply to #2249538)
Subject: Re: Heifer prolapse after pulling calf

what'd you find this morning?
kick her up and get her to water.. there will always be a bulge/more straining when they are laying down.
I got a neat trick I used a few times in my early hereford days. " little league aluminum baseball bat"
drill a hold crossways just under the knob on the bat.
Since I did this by myself, I would pick the heifer/cow up with the hip lift, so the rear legs were about a foot off the ground. (they cant push as hard then) Don't worry about getting kicked, they won't. Plus, it's all 'downhill', and much easier to re install the uterus! <ahem> it's still a battle.
after you get the uterus stuffed back in, and made sure it's NOT TWISTED. a couple of uterine boluses, or a quart of water with 100CC LA 200 poured back inside.
Then, grab your frozen bat, (which should have warmed up a lttle by now)...I usually did this in a blizzard... so it never was too warm... and insert it all the way in, and tie it off to the tail. the cold will help start to shrink. I then did the usual 'purse' stitch around to snug up the vulva around the bat.
Keeping that uterus 'ahead' as much as possible helps a lot to keep em from straining.
sheep guys would tie a similar device (wire or plastic loop) right to the wool. I ususally ran a couple stitches of umbilical tape just under the thick leather 2-3 inches left and right of the soft vulva tissue... through the hole in the bat, then back to the other side.
THEN let her down from the hip lift.
'Blocks' work ok for awhile. I like a 'banimine daily' too for the reduction of swelling/pain. It works kinda like asprin. a daily shot of oxytocin helps the natural healing of uterus too.
oh... don't forget to remove bat after a couple days.3-4 is ok too.. BUT KEEP THE PURSE STITCH IN... a week or 10 days usually does the trick.

Edited by rancherman 2/25/2012 09:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)